Pay Attention...There May Be a Test Later...
- Describe your spiritual journey.
- Our church has specific values and theological positions. Describe how your beliefs and ideas about a music and worship ministry fit into that framework.
- Describe your present employment situation. Why are you considering a change?
- Of what recent accomplishment/events/experiences are you most proud? Why?
- What are your top 5 attributes and strengths that you believe help to qualify you to be a Music & Worship Minister for this congregation?
- How would you characterize your leadership style?
- Tell us anything else about yourself and your background that you believe would make you a leading candidate for this position.
- What additional information, materials, records etc. can you provide us, if required, to better assess you qualifications and match for this position?
If you'd like to see my answers to the questions above, email me here for a copy.
- It made my application stand out, because few people were including this kind of information
- It helped the church "cut to the chase" because they didn't have to have a phone interview to figure out if I was a potential candidate
- It helped many churches figure out who and what they wanted, because they hadn't really thought through their own answers to questions like this (I know this to be true because quite a number of them told me exactly that)
- It gave the church and I a place to start conversations about things that really mattered to me during an actual interview (more often than not, it would go like this: "I see from your question number x, that you believe...")
As a result, I recommend that you consider crafting a set of questions and answers to include with your own application materials.
When this post originally appeared, I asked our readers to tell me whether or not they thought there should be a written test as part of the application process for a music/worship ministry position, and, if so, what kinds of questions should be asked. You can see the results of that invitation here. Blessings.
© 2011, 2014, 2021 All Rights Reserved